Single-shot, breechloading, percussion firearm used by Federal mounted forces during the Civil War. Breechloading .50 caliber carbine invented and patented by physician Gilbert Smith of Buttermilk Falls, New York in late 1855. The carbine is in good condition and measures 39½” long overall and weighs seven pounds and eight ounces. Two piece walnut stock includes a 9” forearm held by a single barrel band. Stock is very good condition save one long surface crack at top of wrist on the left side. Two government cartouches stamped at the left side of stock at the wrist area. 28 5/8” long barrel is octagonal under the forearm and rounded forward of the barrel band. Barrel, receiver, hammer and butt plate wear a dark patina. Traces of original casehardening near the nipple bolster and on frame near hammer. Original, folding single leaf rear sight with the “V” notch bar and a brass front sight. Retains iron saddle ring and sling bar.
Left facet of the barrel breech shows inspector marks “L F R”. Left side of frame above the sling bar exhibits the following stamping, “ADDRESS / POULTNEY & TRIMBLE / BALTIMORE, U.S.A.” Found below the bar is the patent markings of “SMITH PATENT / JUNE 23, 1857” and “MANUFACTURED BY / AM’N M’CH’N WKS / SPRINGFIELD, MASS.” All stampings clear. Serial number (11155) stamped on the bottom of the barrel / receiver hinge plate. Carbine exhibits strong mechanics. Could use some lubrication. Bore is bright but needs a cleaning. Frame screws not buggered. Smith carbines saw extensive service with the following cavalry regiments: 1st Massachusetts, 6th and 9th Ohio, 1st Connecticut, 7th and 17th PA, 7th and 11th Illinois and the 3rd West Virginia Regiments. A nice representative cavalry arm of the Civil War.